It’s that feeling in the pit of your stomach. It’s telling you to go with the best solution, not the cheapest. You’ve felt it before, and now it’s back as you decide between creating your own customized software or buying a pre-built package off the shelf. We know, it’s not an easy decision, and the right answer is different for every business.
If your company is one that continuously works to innovate and stay ahead of the competition, if your team wants a solution that fits the processes that they’ve created, if you have technology partners that need to snap right in, then a custom software package is likely going to be the most cost-effective solution for your company. Why do companies use custom software? What is the main advantage of a custom system development? Let’s take a look.
5 Advantages of Custom Software
- It is built to your business rather than the other way around. As soon as you take off-the-shelf software out of the box, it starts to box in your business. You are now left having to conform your operations to the way that software runs. You’ve been through this before -- limited users, limited access to information, limited connections to your other software, etc. Customized software allows you to create software that is personalized and adapts to your way -- and your customers’ ways and your vendors’ ways -- of doing business.
- Scalability is built-in. Nothing is more frustrating than hitting the limit of your software and being forced to make the decision to start over again. Your software should grow with you and your customer base.
- It is more cost-effective. On day one, your custom solution will cost more than an off-the-shelf package. But over the long haul, the custom package is going to catch up and be more cost-effective. You won’t have to purchase licenses, buy software upgrades, or even go through the process of replacing it every few years as your business grows. Then, there’s the other side of the cost equation, the opportunities. Custom software -- being custom-designed for your business -- will produce new efficiencies, create happy customers and vendors, and drive innovation that maintains your competitive edge. All of that needs to be factored into the total cost-benefit analysis.
- It is more agile and adaptable. As your customers’ needs change, as technology changes, as your own way of doing business changes, you’ll need your software to keep up. Often, that can be a simple integration with other software or a simple module added to your solution. You will avoid having to start over and go through a mass migration to a whole new solution. Your software will grow with you.
- You always have the latest version. One of the most aggravating aspects of off-the-shelf software is dealing with Support. Having to call an 800 number and then hearing that your software has reached “End of Life” is not what your team needs. With custom software, your solution gets better and better over time and is supported by your team (Ping! Development). That also means that your software remains secure. One of the biggest vulnerabilities in software is outdated security, and you’ll take care of that concern with your own software.
Companies that are always looking forward, looking for that competitive edge, are the ones that benefit from customized software. With a custom solution, you’ll be able to grow, adapt to your processes, and create new opportunities for your team and your customers.
Contact us today to explore the possibilities for your business.